- Bartley Dobb Professor for the Study and Prevention of Violence
- Professor, Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington
- Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington
- Adjunct Professor, Daniel J. Evans School of Public Policy and Governance, University of Washington
- PhD Epidemiology, University of Washington, 2009
- MPH Epidemiology, Yale University, 2005
- MD Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences (Iran), 2002
- Box 351619
- Hans Rosling Center for Population Health, 860
Research InterestsAli Rowhani-Rahbar is the Bartley Dobb Professor for the Study and Prevention of Violence, and Interim Director of the Firearm Injury & Policy Research Program, at the University of Washington. He evaluates community-based interventions, social programs, and public policies for their impact on multiple forms of violence with a particular emphasis on preventing firearm-related harm.
Recent Publications (PubMed)State Reporting Requirements for Involuntary Holds, Court-Ordered Guardianship, and the US National Firearm Background Check System.
(2023 Nov 3)
JAMA Health Forum (4): e233945Betz ME, Bowen DM, Rowhani-Rahbar A, McCourt AD, Rivara FP
Livestock, pathogens, vectors, and their environment: A causal inference-based approach to estimating the pathway-specific effect of livestock on human African trypanosomiasis risk.
PLOS Glob Public Health (3): e0002543Meisner J, Kato A, Lemerani M, Mwamba Miaka E, Ismail Taban A, Wakefield J, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Pigott DM, Mayer J, Rabinowitz PM
Experiences of Violence and Firearm Access and Ownership in the Transition From Childhood to Young Adulthood.
(2023 Oct 2)
JAMA Netw Open (6): e2340564Ellyson AM, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Mehari KR
Variations in State Laws on Mental Health-Related Firearm Prohibition.
(2023 Oct 16)
JAMA Intern Med (): Bowen DM, Rowhani-Rahbar A, McCourt A, Betz M, Rivara FP
Provider Perspectives on Addressing Firearm Safety with Older Adults in Primary Care.
(2023 Oct 4)
Clin Gerontol (): 1-16Ross R, Prater LC, Cole A, Mustafa A, Pham K, Suchsland MZ, Gallagher A, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Phelan EA
Show Complete Publication List
In the News
- Supreme Court's Devotion to Gun Rights Faces a Challenging Test - The New York Times
The New York Times, November 07, 2023
- Faculty members elected to National Academy of Medicine - UW Medicine Newsroom
UW Medicine Newsroom, October 09, 2023
- Three UW faculty members elected to National Academy of Medicine - University of Washington
University of Washington, October 09, 2023
- Elects 100 New Members - National Academy of Medicine - National Academy of Medicine
National Academy of Medicine, October 09, 2023
- Can hospitals help to reduce violence? - AAMC
AAMC, November 02, 2023
- Addressing Gun Violence: Alumni Spotlight Dr. Ali Rowhani-Rahbar - Yale School of Medicine
Yale School of Medicine, December 20, 2020
- University of Washington researchers say their prevention program could reduce gun violence deaths in children - ABC News
ABC News, April 11, 2023
- Mass shooting rates by U.S. state: map - NBC News
NBC News, July 26, 2023
- Trend in Loaded Handgun Carrying Among Adult Handgun Owners ... - American Journal of Public Health
American Journal of Public Health, November 16, 2022
- Heavy drinking, handgun-carrying linked among rural youth - UW Medicine Newsroom
UW Medicine Newsroom, August 23, 2023